Conservation Action April 2013
The Conservation Commission met April 25 and 26 at Conservation Department Headquarters in Jefferson City. Commissioners present were:
- Don C. Bedell, Sikeston, Chair
- James T. Blair, IV, St. Louis, Vice Chair
- Becky L. Plattner, Grand Pass, Secretary
- Don R. Johnson, Festus, Member
Received presentations from
- Education Programs Supervisor Kevin Lohraff regarding the Discover Nature Schools Program.
- Outreach and Education Division Chief Mike Huffman regarding the Range and Outdoor Education Center Program.
- Elk Program Coordinator Ron Dent regarding Missouri’s elk-restoration program.
- Fisheries Programs Specialist Andrew Branson regarding angler recruitment.
Made the following presentations
- Presented 2012 Hunter Education Instructor awards to: Volunteer Instructor Robert A. Mallery, Wright City; Bowhunter Education Volunteer Instructor Bradley Hampton, Ozark; MDC Staff Instructor Tisha Holden, Montreal; and Conservation Agent Instructor Tim Tallent, Sullivan.
- Presented a proclamation to Glenn Chambers for his artistic collaboration on a bronze reproduction of the world-record non-typical white-tailed deer to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Department.
- Presented a proclamation to retiring Conservation Federation of Missouri Executive Director David Murphy for his noteworthy career and expressing appreciation for his leadership and service to conservation.
Approved entering into a contract with V. Schneider Enterprises, LTD, O’Fallon, for the construction of the Duck Creek Conservation Area Headquarters Renovation Project in Bollinger County, at a total estimated cost of $365,000.
Approved entering into a contract with Schlacks, Fulton, for the construction of the Blind Pony Lake Conservation Area Hatchery Production Building Expansion Project located in Saline County, at a total estimated cost of $633,200. Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Program Funds will cover 75 percent of the total project cost.
Approved the purchase of 353 acres in Atchison County as an addition to Brickyard Hill Conservation Area (CA).
Approved the sale of a commercial office building at 227 Metro Drive, Jefferson City.
Received comments from
- Robert Brundage, Jefferson City, regarding rulemaking procedures.
- Gail Melgren, executive director of the Tri State Water Resource Coalition, Springfield, regarding Flow Regimes for Missouri Stream Systems.
Approved the advertisement and sale of an estimated 1,023,705 board feet of timber from 663 acres of Compartment 21 on Angeline CA in Shannon County.
Approved the advertisement and sale of an estimated 2.3 million board feet of timber located on 532 acres of Compartment 5, Clearwater CA in Reynolds County.
Suspended hunting, fishing and/or trapping privileges of 24 Missouri residents and one nonresident for Wildlife Code violations and affirmed actions taken by Missouri courts suspending privileges of two Missouri residents. Those whose privileges were suspended are:
- Matthew T. Ackerman, Bonner Springs, Kan., hunting, 1 year
- True B. Beisley, Nevada, hunting, 1 year
- Bradley L. Bettis, Fair Grove, hunting, 4 years
- Matthew A. Brosch, Sedalia, hunting, 4 years
- Christopher C. Carl, Blue Springs, hunting, 6 months
- Jeremy R. Coleman, Potosi, hunting, 4 years
- Gregory T. Crites, Centralia, hunting and fishing, 1 year
- Mark S. Dosenbach, Perryville, hunting, 2 years
- Christopher J. Gauvain, Sullivan, hunting, 1 year
- Andrew T. Gray, Bonne Terre, hunting, 3 years
- Roy A. Hansen, Versailles, hunting, 1 year
- Dylan W. Hattenhauer, Festus, hunting, 3 years
- Justin F. Harrison, Fillmore, all sport privileges, until 2/5/2015
- Nicholas L. Henderson, Buffalo, hunting and fishing, 1 year
- Gary W. Johnson, Doniphan, hunting, 2 years
- Billy J. Jones, Ellington, hunting and fishing, 1 year
- Charles L. Lammers, Hartsburg, hunting, 6 months
- Harold R. Land, Salem, hunting, 3 years
- Preston R. Lytle, Rockport, hunting and trapping, until 12/20/2014
- Charles H. McCollum, Brunswick, hunting, 1 year
- Stanley B. Richmond, Poplar Bluff, hunting, 1 year
- David M. Rotunda, Troy, hunting, 1 year
- Scott W. Sales, Independence, hunting, 1 year
- Robert E. Schulte, Fair Grove, hunting 3 years
- Robert E. Sheppard, Triplett, fishing, 1 year
- Delmar W. Willis, Smithton, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Bryan L. Wilson, Jerome, fishing, 1 year
Approved the suspension or revocation of all hunting and fishing privileges of 287 people who are not in compliance with applicable child-support laws. Privileges suspended for noncompliance are reinstated once the Division of Child Support Enforcement notifies MDC that suspendees have come into compliance with the required laws.
Suspended privileges of 213 nonresidents under the provisions of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
Imposed hunting privilege suspensions of six months to two years for four Missouri residents who injured other persons in hunting incidents. The hunters must complete a hunter-education training course before restoration of privileges.
Set the next regular meeting for May 30-31 in Van Buren.