Crayfish Regulation Comments
Thank you for your interest in the regulation concerning crayfish sales that was implemented by Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) in March 2012. This regulation was implemented to help contain the serious and growing problem of invasive crayfish that threatens our aquatic ecosystems and fisheries in Missouri.
The Regulations Committee will be discussing the crayfish regulation and proposed amendments to the regulation based upon extensive prior public input on Monday April 29th, 2013 at the Missouri Department of Conservation Headquarters auditorium in Jefferson City starting at 1:00 p.m. This will not be an opportunity for further public comment to the committee.
The proposed changes to the Crayfish Regulation include:
- Only the Virile (or "Northern") Crayfish (Orconectes virilis) may be purchased for re-sale or sold for use as live bait. Live Virile (“Northern”) Crayfish may not be imported into the state.
- It also corrects the common names of crayfish in the approved Crustaceans list.
- Northern Crayfish to Virile (“Northern”) Crayfish (Orconectes virilis)
- White River Crayfish to White River Crawfish (Procambarus acutus)
- Red Swamp Crayfish to Red Swamp Crawfish (Procambarus clarkii)
- Papershell Crayfish to Calico (“Papershell”) Crayfish (Orconectes immunis)
With the approval of the Regulations Committee and Director, any proposed regulation changes will be presented to the Conservation Commission for approval as a proposed regulation. If approved by the Commission, the proposed regulation would then be filed with the Secretary of State’s Office and available for public comment.
If and when a proposed regulation is filed with the Secretary of State’s Office, you will be notified of the dates of the official public comment period. As always, public comments will be accepted through this web page, via telephone (573-522-4115 Ext. 3350), US Postal Service, (PO Box 180 Jefferson City, MO 65102), or email at Crayfish@mdc.mo.gov.
Again, we would like to thank you for your interest in this important topic. If you have any questions, please contact Public Involvement Coordinator Michele Baumer at 573-522-4115 Ext. 3350 or at Michele.Baumer@mdc.mo.gov.