Waterfowl Hunting Opportunity: UPDATE
Rains filled Pool 2, finish filling Unit B, filled Unit A slightly more than we intended, and allowed us to fill Pool 3 to our target level at this time. Pool 3 is filled to the "red oak" zone and will be left at this level until the trees have gone dormant (mid-November?). This is the zone that produces the majority of our pin, willow and cherrybark acorns that are the most susceptible to mortality from early flooding, but are also the most desired by ducks. Pool 8 was also flooded, but it will be managed similarly to Pool 3.
At this time, hunting positions will be:
- Unit A - 8 positions
- Unit B - 5 positions
- Pool 1 - 2 positions (Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday)
- Pool 2 - 7-15 positions (see below)
- Pool 3 - 4 positions (BB4, AA3, Y2, X4)
- Pool 8 - positions should become available in mid-November
- Dark Cypress - 4 positions (Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday)
Changes for this year include:
- Changing Pool 1 and Dark Cypress hunting schedules.
- Hunting 48N, 48S, and H-pool daily and not rotating the units.
- Goose pits will be available during dark goose season.
- Pool 2 positions may be limited due to construction along the south and west sides. This will limit accessibility to these areas. During this time we may allow wade-in hunting to a few parties on these portions of the pool.
We realize that this season will present numerous challenges and appreciate everyone's patience with this situation. The October rain events have allowed us to provide more opportunity than predicted; however, ongoing construction could create access issues throughout the season.