Spring Fling on Conservation lands
A list of spring events on conservation lands.
The Conservation Department invites you to enjoy these special events on your conservation lands.
- May 25, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Kirksville Wal-Mart - Booths will be set up to highlight recreation opportunities on nearby conservation areas.
- May 25, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Big Creek Conservation Area - Hike across a north Missouri hill and learn more about forest and prairie restoration.
- May 11, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Three Creeks Conservation Area - Visitors can participate in scavenger hunts and guided hikes that leave the parking lot at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- May 18, 9 - 12 a.m., Three Creeks Conservation Area - Meet at Three Creeks CA parking lot off of Deer Park Road. Have a fun-filled morning in the creek. Programs are at 9 and 11. Bring an aquatic net if you have one and some wading shoes. Reservations required. Contact Michele Baumer, (573) 526-5544.
- May 19, 1 p.m. - dark, Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area - See migrating shorebirds and a 3,000 gallon aquarium with Missouri River fish!
- May 18, 1 - 4 p.m., Fiery Fork Conservation Area - Visitors will meet at Toby Hollow Camp to learn about this area's unique wildlife inhabitants, like bats and herons. Hikers can try out the River Glade Trail.
Cape Girardeau County
- May 6 - 31, Cape Girardeau Reg. Office - The Conservation Department Regional Office will host a variety of events throughout the month. Hand-outs, prizes, movies, demonstrations, guided hikes, scavenger hunts and special appearances by Smokey Bear will highlight the month. Groups who want a special program are urged to make reservations two weeks in advance. Contact Gaye Puchbauer at the Regional Office, (573) 290-5730, for detailed information.
- May 4, 10:30 a.m., Runge Conservation Nature Center - "Tick Talk" - Straight talk about ticks from a noted expert, Dr. Thomas Satalowich. Reservations required. Call the Nature Center office at (573) 526-5544.
- May 11, noon - 5 p.m., Runge CNC - The Show-Me Iris Society annual show.
- May 18, Lead Mine Conservation Area - Meet at a parking area to learn about area management of Lead Mine CA.
- May 11, Meramec Conservation Area - Area staffers will provide informational talks and guided walks on Meramec's new disabled-user trail. Participation by users of wheelchairs and walkers is encouraged. Reservations required, since parking is limited. Call (573) 468-4157.
- May 7, 11:30 a.m., Vanderhoef State Forest - Hike