Kids In Nature
7 Simple Ideas for Family Fun
- Look for places in your yard or neighborhood where an animal could hide from the rain.
- Find five different shades of green outside.
- Look for four-leaf clovers.
- Dead standing trees are called snags. Take a walk in the park or the woods to look for a snag. Snags with holes or that are hollow are often used by squirrels, raccoons, bats, and many kinds of birds. See if you can spot one of these animals on or near a snag.
- Try to spot a robin and draw a picture of it.
- Celebrate the arrival of spring March 20. Notice how day and night are equal in length.
- Kids in Nature Photo Contest! Break out those cameras and send us your best images of you and your family enjoying the outdoors for our new photo contest. Once again, we will be accepting entries via the online photo sharing service, Flickr. If you are not a member of Flickr, it is easy and free to join. Once you are a member, just navigate to our kids in nature group page: www.flickr.com/groups/mdc-kids
-in-nature and submit your photos. MDC staff will select a winner every month and display it on our website. All of the monthly winners will appear in the January 2014 issue of the magazine.