Kids In Nature
6 Simple Ideas for Family Fun
- July 29 is the night of a new moon, or when the moon is not visible. Lay on a blanket outside to look at the stars and listen to the sounds of nature.
- Join in on nature’s feast in July by going blackberry picking.
- Watch for fledgling birds, but do not disturb them.
- Listen for dog-day cicadas.
- Build a bath for birds. Anchor an old cake pan with some rocks under a tree, and pour in about an inch of water. The birds will have the tree to fly into for safety, and you will have a great way to watch them clean up. Remember to change the water daily to keep it mosquito free.
- Take the Governor’s 100 Missouri Miles challenge. It’s time to lace up your shoes, air up those bike tires, dust off the paddles, and hit a trail near you. Governor Nixon is challenging Missourians to complete 100 miles of outdoor physical activity by the end of the year. Whether you run, walk, bike, paddle, or roll, everyone can participate. Visit 100missourimiles.com to learn more. Millstream Gardens Conservation Area in Madison County
Kids in Nature Photo Contest!
Break out those cameras and send us your best images of you and your family enjoying the outdoors for our new photo contest. Once again, we will be accepting entries via the online photo sharing service, Flickr. If you are not a member of Flickr, it is easy and free to join. Once you are a member, just navigate to our kids in nature group page: www.flickr.com/groups/mdc-kids