Kids in Nature
6 Simple Ideas for Family Fun
- Take a walk through your neighborhood or park to see how many different shades of red, orange, and yellow leaves you can find.
- Look for spiders ballooning on clear, windy days.
- Frost begins in mid- to late October, take a morning walk to enjoy the patterns and colors it creates.
- Look and listen for migrating waterfowl.
- Try to spot a blue jay gathering and hiding acorns.
- Lady beetles congregate on the sunny side of buildings. Count how many you find.
Kids in Nature Photo Contest!
Break out those cameras and send us your best images of you and your family enjoying the outdoors for our new photo contest. Once again, we will be accepting entries via the online photo sharing service, Flickr. If you are not a member of Flickr, it is easy and free to join. Once you are a member, just navigate to our kids in nature group page: flickr.com/groups/mdc-kids-in-nature and submit your photos. MDC staff will select a winner every month and display it on our website. All of the monthly winners will appear in the January 2014 issue of the magazine.