There are so many fun, convenient, and inexpensive ways to spend time with family and friends, and to get out and learn about the outdoors, in Missouri. Whether it’s events, newsletters, shooting ranges, photo contests, nature centers, skills classes, or many more options, we have something to fit your busy schedule and your outdoor interests. Starting in January 2014, we will highlight upcoming events around the state — and let you know how to find more near you. We will also announce our new photo contest and tell you how you can participate. We hope you enjoy the season, and we look forward to offering you many adventures in nature in the new year.
NATURE AND THE ARTS — AN EVENING WITH TIM ERNST
- DEC. 6, FRIDAY, 5-6 P.M. OR 7-8 P.M.
- Southwest Region - Springfield Conservation Nature Center
- Registration begins Nov. 19, call 417-888-4237
- Ages 12 and up
- Before or after taking a stroll outdoors, enjoy the scenic photography of nationally known nature photographer Tim Ernst as he returns to share images set to music from his latest publication, Buffalo River Beauty. Tim will be available for book signing from 6-7 p.m. and 8-9 p.m. For more information, visit Tim’s website at TimErnst.com.
PIRATES OF COLUMBIA BOTTOM: INTRO TO GEOCACHING
- DEC. 7, SATURDAY, 1-3 P.M.
- St. Louis Region - Columbia Bottom Conservation Area
- Reservations begin Nov. 23, call 314-877-6014
- Bring the whole family to Columbia Bottom to be modern-day pirates through the outdoor sport of geocaching. This adventurous outdoor activity ties technology and nature together for all ages. Join us for a brief introduction on the basics of geocaching, and then try your hand at hunting for hidden treasures on the area. GPS units will be provided.
NATURE ART: NATURE’S DECOR
- DEC. 7, SATURDAY, 9 A.M., 11 A.M., 1 P.M., OR 3 P.M.
- Southeast Region - Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center
- Registration begins Nov. 15, call 573-290-5218
- Ages 18 and up
- The holidays are here, and we’re in the mood to decorate! We’ll use nature’s resources to create wonderful winter wreaths, swags, and garlands. You provide a grapevine wreath (you choose the size and shape you want), and we’ll provide everything else to do your decorating.
- DEC. 7 AND 8, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, 9 A.M.-5 P.M.
- Northwest Region - Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge in Holt County