- 2 pounds venison strips, cut 1/4-1/8" thick
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few drops of liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
To cut thin, even slices, use meat that is partially frozen. Cut the strips lengthwise with the grain and about 1 to 2 inches wide. Mix the seasonings and place the meat and seasonings in a resealable plastic bag. Work the seasonings into the meat with your hands. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
To dry, place on dehydrator trays and follow the directions of the appliance. Jerky can also be dried in an oven by hanging the strips with toothpicks from the racks. Cook for 10-12 hours at 150F. with the door slightly ajar to allow moisture to escape. Place a tray under jerky to catch drips.