Elk Restoration Goals
The elk restoration plan is based on current information and knowledge, incorporating the following goals:
- A well-defined elk restoration zone in portions of Carter, Shannon and Reynolds counties with characteristics of large public land ownership, limited agricultural land and few roads;
- Habitat management guidelines for improving elk habitat on private and public land;
- Herd management guidelines including release protocols, population objectives, monitoring protocols, actions to address elk that leave the restoration zone onto private land where they are not welcome, and hunting as the primary management tool;
- Development of health protocols, including animal-health testing and a contingency plan, to ensure wildlife and livestock remain healthy; and
- Public input and information through public meetings near the potential elk restoration zone, ongoing statewide requests for public comments and information to citizens and organizations.