Telecheck for Fall Turkey Season
Prepare your info before calling or clicking
You'll need to answer several questions during the Telecheck process, so take a few minutes to prepare the following information before you call the Telecheck number or visit the Telecheck Your Fall Turkey application listed under MDC Applications below.
Step 1: Find your Telecheck ID number on your permit. If you have more than one permit, be sure you give the number of the permit you want to use.
Step 2: Fill out this form, which organizes the information you will need to provide.
- Your Telecheck ID number: ___________________________
- Turkey type (use the illustrations below to help you choose one):
- Adult gobbler
- Adult hen
- Juvenile gobbler
- Juvenile hen
- County where turkey was taken: ____________________
Determine the age of your turkey
- Look at the two outermost feathers on the wing. The ends of the 9th and 10th primary feathers of a juvenile are pointed, and the tips of the feathers lack white barring. The ends of the 9th and 10th primary feathers of an adult are rounded and have white barring extending to the tips.
Determine the sex of your turkey
- Look at the lower half of the breast. Hens have brown-tipped breast feathers. Gobblers have black-tipped breast feathers.
Step 3: Call 1-800-314-6828 or key in your information. If you're calling, follow the instructions in the phone interview. Speak clearly and slowly. You can call between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Step 4: After you have provided the required information, you will be given an eight-digit confirmation number that verifies you have legally checked your game. Write this number on the main portion of the permit and attach it to the turkey.
You have now completed checking your game and can process your turkey.
- If using a cell phone, be sure you have a clear signal. If the signal is spotty, move closer to a major highway, go to higher ground, or wait until you get to a land-based line to call. Avoid calling in areas with loud background noise.
- You do not need to call Telecheck immediately after taking the game. You can transport unchecked game within the state, as long as the transportation tag is attached to the leg. You have until 10 p.m. on the day taken to check your turkey.
- Avoid duplicate Telecheck records. If you receive an eight-digit Telecheck confirmation number, your checking information has been successfully recorded. Write the confirmation number on the permit, and the checking process is complete. Do not call again to check the same turkey.
- After you complete Telecheck, your turkey may be possessed and transported by anyone, but it must be labeled with the your full name, address, Telecheck confirmation number, and the date taken.