Discover Nature with Eagle Days
JEFFERSON CITY Mo – Missouri's winter eagle watching is spectacular as large numbers of our national symbol congregate along Missouri rivers, lakes and wetlands. The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) encourages people to discover nature through the following Eagle Days events, which include live eagle programs, exhibits, activities, videos, guides with spotting scopes and refreshments:
- Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, on Dec. 3-4 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information call 816-271-3100.
- Smithville Lake Little Platte Park Course Complex, Smithville, on Jan. 7 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Jan. 8 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information call 816-532-0174.
- Old Chain of Rock Bridge, St. Louis south of I-270 off Riverview Drive, on Jan. 14-15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, call 314-877-1309.
- Springfield Conservation Nature Center, Springfield, on Jan. 21 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Jan. 22 from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. For more information call 417-888-4237.
- Lock & Dam 24 and Apple Shed Theater with driving tour at Ted Shanks Conservation Area, Clarksville, on Jan. 28 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Jan. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information call 660-785-2420.
- Schell City Community Center and Schell Osage Conservation Area, Schell City, on Feb. 4 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information call 417-876-5226.
Can’t make Eagle Days? View eagles in the wild at numerous locations throughout the state including:
- Lake of the Ozarks Bagnell Dam Access east of Bagnell
- Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area off Route K southwest of Columbia
- Lock & Dam 24 in Clarksville
- Lock & Dam 25 east of Winfield
- Mingo National Wildlife Refuge northwest of Puxico
- Old Chain of Rocks Bridge south of I-270 off of Riverview Drive in St. Louis
- Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary east of West Alton
- Schell-Osage Conservation Area north of El Dorado Springs
- Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge south of Mound City
- Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge south of Sumner
- Table Rock Lake southwest of Branson
- Truman Reservoir west of Warsaw
Dress for the weather and don’t forget cameras and binoculars.
For an MDC brochure on Eagle Days, visit www.mdc.mo.gov and search “Eagle Days.”