MDC hosting workshops around state on value of community trees
Wed, 03/06/2013 - 4:22pm — jerekj
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is hosting workshops across the state to educate citizens and communities about the value of their public trees. The workshops will provide useful information and tools for city and elected officials; public works, parks, and planning departments; local arborists; local and regional planners; tree boards; and anyone with an interest in community trees. Professional credits will be available.
Topics will include information on the benefits of trees and tools for their effective care and management, measuring and understanding the economic value of trees, the value of a tree inventory, and trends in community forestry.
The workshops will focus on the results of a unique series of tree assessments that took place over three decades in 44 Missouri cities, and will also reveal trends in the attitudes and opinions of municipal officials and citizens about trees in their communities.
Workshop presentations will include interactive audience polling where ideas and opinions will be part of the discussion. Participants will receive detailed information about new tools for managing community forests, and about engaging officials and citizens to develop sustainable forests where they live, work, and play.
The workshops are free, but registration is required. Light snacks and beverages will be provided. For more information, contact MDC Forestry Field Programs Supervisor Nick Kuhn at 573-522-4115 ext. 3306, or Nick.Kuhn@mdc.mo.gov.
Workshops will be held:
- ST. JOSEPH: March 13, 2-4 p.m., MDC Northwest Regional Office, 701 James McCarthy Drive. Register online at stjoe.bpt.me
- BLUE SPRINGS: March 14, 7-9 p.m., MDC Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center, 3403 NW Duncan Road. Register online at bluesprings-buroak.bpt.me
- KANSAS CITY: March 15, 2-4 p.m. MDC Anita B. Gorman Discovery Center, 4750 Troost Ave. Register online at kcdiscovery.bpt.me
- COLUMBIA: March 19, 1-3 p.m. MDC E. Sydney Stephens Central Regional Office and Conservation Research Center, 3500 E. Gans Road. Register online at columbia.bpt.me
- SPRINGFIELD: March 26, 7-9 p.m. MDC Springfield Conservation Nature Center, 4601 S. Nature Center Way. Register online at springfield.bpt.me
- CAPE GIRARDEAU: April 4, 2-4 p.m. MDC Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center, 2289 County Park Drive. Register online at capeg.bpt.me
- HANNIBAL: April 9, 2-4 p.m. Bank of Hannibal, 3817 McMasters Ave. Register online at hannibal.bpt.me
- ST. LOUIS: April 11, 7-9 p.m. MDC Powder Valley Conservation Nature Center, 11715 Cragwold Road. Register online at stlpv.bpt.me
- ROLLA: April 15, 7-9p.m. Missouri University of Science and Technology Havener Center, 1346 Bishop Ave. Register online at rolla.bpt.me
- ST. CHARLES: April 18, 2-4 p.m. MDC August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area, 2360 Highway D. Register online at stcharles.bpt.me