Natural Events Calendar available Oct. 18
JEFFERSON CITY–The 2013 Natural Events Calendar, with stunning nature photography and daily notes about wild happenings, goes on sale Oct. 18 at locations throughout Missouri.
This year’s calendar from the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) features a cover photo of a gray fox pup in a Columbia subdivision. Other eye-popping photos in the large-format calendar include:
• The Milky Way galaxy rising out of a squadron of fireflies
• A turtle’s-eye view of a May-apple blossom
• A whitetail doe with triplet spotted fawns
• Dawn light filtering through 800-year-old bald cypress trees
• Water rushing ghostlike among red granite rocks
• A monarch butterfly bursting from an incandescent sunflower
• White pelicans in flight
• An intimate portrait of a pair of river otters
As always, the calendar has daily notes about natural events from owl nesting to meteor showers. You can have all this for $7 plus tax and shipping through MDC’s online Nature Shop, mdcnatureshop.com. You also can order by calling 877-521-8632. Or save shipping and handling charges by buying your copy at conservation nature centers or MDC regional offices in Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Kansas City, Kirksville, Lees Summit, Springfield, St. Joseph, St. Charles, West Plains or Winona. Conservation Heritage Card holders receive a 15-percent discount.