Jump to the Center’s Conservation Atlas record for full details, including directions, permitted activities, map, brochure, and complete regulations.
- Explore eight acres of gardens, including a pond, walkways, and watchable wildlife.
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Extended hours on first and third Tuesdays: Building open until 9:00 p.m. for programs and meetings, permit, and Nature Shop sales until 7:00 p.m.
- First and third Saturday of each month: 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
- Trails open daily during daylight hours.
From I-70 in Kansas City, go south on Van Brunt, which turns into Emanuel Cleaver Boulevard (also known as 47th Street). Continue west, passing under Highway 71, then turn south on Troost Avenue. You will soon see the Discovery Center entrance on the right (west) side of the street.
Fun to see, do, and learn
Facility and exhibits
- Energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly building that shows how you can save water, energy, and resources at home
- Live-animal exhibits
- Sycamore Station natural play area for kids
- Lots of programs, events, and workshops. See the Events block to the right of this page.
- Rain gardens in the parking lot hold and treat runoff before it empties into the storm water system.
- Native-plant gardens demonstrate urban landscaping options, including small versions of upland and lowland forests, prairies, and wetlands. Specialty planting areas include hummingbird, butterfly, wildflower, and water gardens.
- Two disabled-accessible trails
- Shop for MDC-produced books, calendars, DVDs, and other nature-related gifts.