Lost Valley Hatchery
Jump to the hatchery’s Conservation Atlas page, for full details, including directions, permitted activities, map, brochure, and regulations.
- Lost Valley Fish Hatchery is the largest state owned, warm-water hatchery in Missouri and one of the largest in the nation.
- It raises walleye, muskellunge, channel catfish, largemouth bass, striped and hybrid striped bass, bluegill, and hybrid sunfish to stock in Missouri waters.
- The visitor center offers scheduled tours to groups of 10 or more, exhibits, Nature Shop, and youth-fishing programs
Visitor Center Hours
- Tuesday – Saturday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
See the area address, phone number, and Google map under Address Information to the right.
Fun to see, do, and learn
Facilities and exhibits
- 2,000 square-foot visitor center with a 12,700-gallon aquarium
- A variety of exhibits, including an over-sized native Missouri mussel model, a model of hatchery water flow, fish-measuring demonstrations, and aquatic-themed computer games
- Call to schedule a tour
- Fishing for youth age 15 and younger. Tackle and bait are available at the visitor center. There is no charge for youth fishing or the use of equipment or bait.
- Unmarked trails
- View the hatchery production-room from two large windows inside the visitor center.
- Stop at the scenic pullout overlooking most of the rearing ponds and a portion of Truman Lake.
- Buy Department-produced, nature-related gifts and hunting and fishing permits.
- A portion of the area is open to all statewide hunting seasons except that shotguns only may be used for small game hunting and deer hunting is restricted to archery methods only.
Lost Valley Hatchery Events
No events scheduled at this time.