Shepherd of the Hills Fish Hatchery
Jump to the hatchery’s Conservation Atlas record for full details, including directions, permitted activities, map, brochure, and complete regulations.
- Located in Taney County just below the Table Rock Dam, Shepherd of the Hills is the Department’s largest trout-rearing hatchery.
- The hatchery produces between 350,000 and 400,000 pounds of rainbow and brown trout each year.
- Eighty percent of production goes into Lake Taneycomo. The Department uses the remaining 20 percent to stock other Missouri trout-management areas.
- September - June: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Memorial Day - Labor Day: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day
- See View Map in the Address Information block on the right of this page.
Fun to see, do, and learn
- Catch a guided hatchery tour 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., and 2 p.m. weekdays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Try a self-guided tour during the rest of the year.
Facility and exhibits
- Staffed visitor center with exhibits and displays
- 50-seat auditorium
- Pavilion and picnic tables
- Wildlife-viewing blind and tower
- Boat ramp with several fishing access points along Lake Taneycomo, where trout fishing is allowed year-round
- Hike nearly 3 miles of trails (easy to moderate) through forests and glades.
Shepherd of the Hills Hatchery Events
No events scheduled at this time.